In the past two and a half months, both Jared and myself have fallen ill a total of six times combined – I am currently sick at the moment. Countless hours of traveling, moving, bad sleeping schedules, unhealthy eating habits, and no routine during the holidays definitely contributed to our exhaustion and thus, our illnesses. So what do we normally do for a cold? Tissues, cough drops, DayQuil & NyQuil, vaporub, and hot liquids with honey are our normal staples. But what are good home remedies; natural remedies? This is a hard question for me nowadays due to the plethora of information on the subject. It’s hard to find qualitative and premiere sources, but I think that is just the nature of natural/holistic remedies.
- Drink lots of fluids, use an air humidifier, try a neti pot, eat chicken soup, take echinacea, take zinc lozenges, take vitamin C, massage your nose, gargle with water three times a day | (Everyday Health)
- Echinacea, goldenseal, ginseng, nasal rinsing, pelargonium sidoides, vitamin C, zinc | (Health)
- Chicken soup, ginger, honey, garlic, echinacea, vitamin C, probiotics, gargle with salt water, humidity, vapor rub, warm baths (with epsom salt, baking soda, and essential oils – tea tree, juniper, rosemary, thyme, orange, lavender, and eucalyptus) | (Healthline)
- Drink fluids, use a humidifier, blow your nose, use saline spray or salt water rinse, stay warm and rested, gargle with warm salt water, drink hot liquids (add honey), try an extra pillow under your head | (WebMD)
- Hot ginger tea, essential steam (with essential oils – eucalyptus, tea tree oil), classic cure (garlic, lemon, and honey in hot water), honey-onion syrup, mullein, simple syrup, healing inhaler, chest salve, loosen up with heat, sinus clearing bath salt (with epsom salt and essential oils – eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender), hot peppers, sore throat gargle (with apple cider vinegar, sage, and salt), radishes, elderberry syrup, goldenseal, massage/rub your nose | (Everyday Roots)
- Garlic, hydrogen peroxide, hot liquids, cinnamon, face steam, remove white foods, hydrate and rest, herbs – nettle leaf, elderberry, ginger, yarrow, chamomile, pepperment, catnip, red clover, vitamins – vitamin d3, vitamin c, zinc, natural antibiotics and antivirals – oregano & thyme, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar | (Wellness Mama)
I’m already overwhelmed (sad, but true). So, what can I take away from this? Drink a lot of fluids, take Vitamin C, take zinc, gargle with salt water, drink hot liquids (ginger tea, green tea, chamomile tea, peppermint tea) with honey, lemon, and/or coconut oil, take warm baths (with epsom salt and essential oils if you have them), and rest. Tissues, blankets, and comfy socks will also help.
(I have not jumped onto the essential oil bandwagon. I can see why it is so popular – you have complete control over what you’re using, and you know exactly what it is you’re using. Do essential oils cure everything? No, but I’m sure they have many, many benefits. Our budget won’t allow us to invest in and use essential oils as of now, but maybe one day I’ll be able to look into them.)
What sources do you use for natural living? Is there a source you use to buy natural products? What natural remedies do you use for a cold? Please comment below, I’d love to know!