I’m interested in using Vitacost to purchase toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, floss threaders, and tongue scrapers. I’m going to compare prices, as well as ingredients. Prices are reflective of a 3/28/16 date. My top choices are in bold within each category. Keep in mind, most products come with a minimum quantity purchase (see floss and floss threaders, and some toothbrushes), so while you’ll have to buy at least 2 of them, they will last longer for you.
- Tom’s of Maine Toothbrush, Soft
- Radius Toothbrush, Soft
- Comes with an extra head | $8.24
- Preserve Toothbrush, Soft
I don’t think you can go wrong with either of the choices above. I really like the look of the Radius toothbrushes and the fact that you can keep the base and switch out the head, but Vitacost doesn’t sell Radius replacement heads, which is a bummer. They’re available in other online stores, but in order to keep shipping costs low, I’d like to keep all of my products within the Vitacost store. So, between the remaining choices: although the Preserve toothbrush is cheaper, I prefer the shape of the Tom’s of Maine toothbrush more.
I’m going with soft bristles vs hard bristles due to my research. Next time I go to the dentist, I will ask if I need a hard bristle toothbrush.
- Dr. Bronner’s All-One Toothpaste, Peppermint
- 5 ounces | $5.79 | $1.16 per ounce
- Fluoride Free, 70% Organic Ingredients
- Tom’s of Maine Whole Care, Peppermint
- 4.7 ounces | $3.99 | $0.85 per ounce
- Natural, With Fluoride
- Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil and Neem Toothpaste, Wintergreen
- 6.25 ounces | $4.19 | $0.67 per ounce
- Fluoride Free
For now, I’ve chosen to continue with toothpaste with fluoride, thus, my only choice from the above products is Tom’s of Maine Whole Care Toothpaste. Until I know more about fluoride vs. not using fluoride, I’m going to stick with using fluoride in my toothpaste.
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Floss
- 50 yards | $2.59 | $0.05 per yard
- Tom’s of Maine Naturally Waxed Antiplaque Round Floss, Spearmint
- 32 yards | $2.69 | $0.08 per yard
It’s tempting to go with Tom’s of Maine, because I have an affinity to liking using the same brand of products throughout. But with Desert Essence, you’re definitely getting more floss for less than the other option.
Floss Threader Options:
This is the only brand of floss threaders available on Vitacost.
Tongue Scraper Options:
This is the only stainless steel tongue cleaner available on Vitacost.