Get a routine – keep up with it, and wash as you go
Get organized – have designated spaces for dirty dishes and drying dishes
Treat yourself – listen to music or lectures while you clean, and/or purchase dish supplies that are lovely and that you enjoy using
- Fill the sink.
- Clean the sink and rinse.
- Plug the drain and add dish soap.
- Fill the left side of the sink 1/3-1/2 with hot water.
- Wash dishes from cleanest to dirtiest.
- Soak, scrub, rinse, drain.
- Scrub the dishes, place them in the right side of the sink, rinse when the sink becomes full, place the rinsed dishes on the drying rack. Repeat.
- Empty the sink, and clean the drain plug and sink.
- If you have more dishes than drying rack space, use a dish towel to dry and put away clean dishes.
- 7 Ways to Enjoy Doing the Dishes (Apartment Therapy)
- My Life Without a Dishwasher (Apartment Therapy)
- Our Best Tips for Life Without a Dishwasher (Apartment Therapy)
- Dishwashing 101: Do’s and Dont’s (Apartment Therapy)
- How to Hand Wash Dishes to Conserve Water (Apartment Therapy)
- Dishwashing Secrets (Martha Stewart)
- Wash Dishes by Hand (Instrucables)